Saturday, September 17, 2011

Good Reads - 10 Books I’m glad I’ve read


10 Books that will always stay with me~ 
 (1) Contact - Carl Sagan: I never really paid attention to the movie when I first saw it, but when I happened to read this book, the inner geek in me resurfaced~ and imagine me as Jodie Foster floating up her capsule, crying and murmuring…”So beautiful~ I never thought…” - watch the movie - It’ll make you think - Read the book - it’ll make you “wonder”. Sagan is an alien - he is to deym brilliant to be human.





(2) Little Women - Louisa May Alcott: She’ll always be one of my favorite authors, and hers is the immortal quote: “Far away in the sunshine are my aspirations, I may not reach them, but I will try to follow where they lead…” Little Women was also the first book (unused) that my mother bought me - back when “Alemar’s” was still in business~ so technically, it’s the first “new” novel I ever owned. I have lots of beautiful memories attached to the story~ I’m like Jo in many ways. 





(3) David Copperfield - Charles Dickens: Sob Sob - and I thought Oliver Twist had reason to cry - DC will always remain with me…





(4) Little House on the Prairie Series - Laura Ingalls Wilder - I grew up lodged between the shelves of our Elem. library - reading The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, and *gasp* Sweet Valley, but these books about Prairie life gave me lifelong learnings I’ll always treasure





(5) Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling: Of course, I grew up alongside the Boy Who Lived~ HP made me want to read again - and write again~ and believe in the magic of Life~





(6) The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon: I’ve always loved Magical Realism - This book makes me want to go to Barcelona and trace the path that the characters took~





(7) The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery: I’ll always be a kid at heart because of this book. Ma’am G has a baobab tree on her backyard~ hope I could see it one of these days…





(8) Stranger Things Happen - Kelly Link: Slipstream~ Weird~ Fragmented Memories~ Magic~ Angst~ Read her collection of stories~ You’ll be amazed about what you’d discover in you~





(9) The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky: I’m sorry J.D. Salinger~ but I found a better voice in “Charlie” than with Holden Caulfield - Catcher in the Rye was good ~ but Wallflower reminds me soo much of Jean Webster’s “Daddy Long-Legs” 





(10) The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett - Yup, I love The Little Princess (Sarah Crewe), even the innocent boy-heir (Cedie), but the “ugly” girl who’s got nothing to do but skip rope all day, gets my vote for “Unforgettable Children’s Classic Novel”





Others: Collected Works of Ryonusuke Akutagawa, The Client (John Grisham), Battle Royale (Koushun Takami), Greek Mythology (Edith Hamilton), Water for Elephants (Sara Gruen), Cry to Heaven (Anne Rice), Neil Gaiman’s Collection of Stories and The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)



 








The reason for my slouch and awkward posture
inspired by Angeli~) - originally posted and filed under “Notes” in my Facebook page on September 29, 2010, and reblogged on Tumblr  - November 18, 2010
P.S. The book covers I have chosen (copied from the net) are also the book covers I have of the books I mentioned~ 

No comments: