Sunday, July 10, 2011

Today’s the birthday of a comic artist I’ve loved when I was a kid: Miss Khandie F.~ 
When I was young, my mother would leave me at the comic stands at the public market, and I’d rent my favorite comics for 25 cents~ “Bata-Batuta” was my favorite, and I adored a lot of artists from there. 
My heroes~


When I was young, all I ever wanted was to work for GASI Publishings with these people~  Sadly, I didn't grow up fast enough, and the company, I think, already closed down.


Photos above were taken from Ms. Khandie's FB, hehe 
I wrote to one of them, Miss Khandie, and she answered me back ~ she was, technically, my first (and only) pen-pal~ and she inspired me to draw. She was really good at it~
Well, almost 14 years had gone by, and we had stopped our communication~ thankfully, Facebook managed to reunite us again, and I even found my other favorite artist, Mr. Jan Michael A.
I still get teary-eyed whenever I think of those good ‘ol years - the 90s: the waning Golden years of Pinoy “komiks”. Although my dreams of becoming a comic artist have been put on hold (the business isn’t doing well nowadays~ and the big publishing houses have ceased operations), I still treasure the memories and the inspiration that my “idols” have given me.

No comments: