Monday, August 8, 2011

Here's to Patty


Its quite interesting that I can still sing along to songs I haven’t heard in over 12 years.

When I was 13 y.o. my father went to another city in order to receive training – a part of his job (He used to work in a factory). That was probably the first time that he was away from home for several weeks. Well, when he came back, he got me a tape of Patty Smyth. (Note: In 1999, ipods, DVD players and MP3s were unheard of~ and my generation only had audio cassette tapes), I used to play the tape all day, changing from Side A to Side B, and turning the tape over and over, till the roll gave out~ to which I’d tape back again with a bit of scotch tape.

Years passed, and pop music invaded the air waves. I began to make mix tapes of Alanis Morisette, Hansons, The Moffats, The Goo Goo Dolls etc.

Patty Smyth was left to rust in a drawer, which eventually got discarded along with piles of junk from my childhood.

A couple of days ago, I suddenly had the inspiration to download Patty Smyth’s 1992 album online – and guess what, now that “I Should Be Laughing”, “One Moment to Another” and the famous “Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough” is playing on WinAmp, I can still flawlessly sing – along to all of them. Except for “Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough”, these songs have never experience airplay in local radio stations in more than a decade, more so on the TV, and yet, I could freakin’ sing-ALONG with them.

Cell memory? Nostalgia? I don’t know… I love the feeling. 

Cover of the Cassette tape,
thanks to Google images for this

A younger Patty Smyth (not "the Patti Smith")

No comments: